Design Element: Exposed Brick Walls


This is a 'before' photo (above) that I took a while back of a client's exposed brick wall in her DC rowhouse living room.  We recently finished the project & I have to say that one of my favorite elements in the room is the pre-existing exposed brick wall.  (which I obviously had nothing to do with! ;)

It got me thinking about good brick vs. not so good brick...


{images via sfgirlbybay}

To me, "good brick" has character and adds interest to a space.   The brick itself is pretty and it has a patina...


{image source unknown via pinterest}

It can be a beautiful focal point...

{image source unknown via pinterest}

..And is appropriate in the space...

{image via apartment therapy}

...It makes you wonder about the building's history...

 {image source unknown via pinterest}

 In these parts, there's a lot of newer brick inside of homes that isn't as beautiful the brick in the pics above.  Has anyone had any experience "aging" brick and/or giving it some character?  I've seen examples of some pretty painted bricks but would love to know about simplyadding some "patina" to newer bricks.

xoxo, Lauren

If you'd like help creating a home you absolutely love, contact me about our design services.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © home design ideas. All Rights Reserved.